My Blog List

Blog Archive

Friday, April 20, 2007

A Wow Moment


Down to the last few days before heading North and we had one of those moments that makes you stop breathing. All of the doors are open so the bird sounds are quite clear. Suddenly I heard a different one. I looked out the front door and there, on the nearest palm tree was a Pileated Woodpecker. While not endangered, they ARE unusual. We saw one 5 years ago and not since. I snapped away and got these keepers.From "About Birds" - link on the side of the blog

Nearly as large as a crow, the Pileated Woodpecker is the largest woodpecker in most of North America. Its loud ringing calls and huge, rectangular excavations in dead trees announce its presence in forests across the continent.

  • Large woodpecker.
  • Red crest on head.
  • Black body.
  • Size: 40-49 cm (16-19 in)
  • Wingspan: 66-75 cm (26-30 in)
  • Weight: 250-350 g (8.83-12.36 ounces)
  • Sexes similar, male has red crown and forehead and red in black mustache stripe. Female has gray to yellow-brown forehead and no red in mustache stripe.
  • Call a loud, ringing "kuk-kuk-kuk." Drumming loud and resonant.

1 comments:

Carrie Nichols said...

Laura, I have one that comes to my bird feeders for the suet. Aren't they awesome?

About Me

My Photo
Gabby Faye
Michigan, United States
View my complete profile

Followers